Chapter 3 meets at the homes of members in the afternoon of the 1st Wednesday of the month.
At our Christmas meeting in early December, each member suggests a book. We schedule them to try and vary the topics, style, and intensity. We choose older books that are available through the library and try to avoid the obvious best sellers that people have already read.
Some of our 2019 books are: The Inconvenient Indian by Thomas King / The Day the Falls Stood Still by Cathy Marie Buchanan / Red Notice by Bill Browder / Fifteen Dogs by Andre Alexis
Unlike many book clubs we don't have a formal review of the book. We send out an e-mail before the meeting with a few possible discussion options . So far we have never had a meeting without a lively conversation!
We meet all year and have an annual excursion to a play at Stratford.
To keep members who can't attend a meeting included, each month we share our rating of the book, major topics discussed and our current reading favourites through an e-mail afterwards.
Book Club 3 welcomes new members. Contact me if you're interested.
Coordinator: Val Jones
Book List January – July 2018
- January 10 - Trick of the Light by Louise Penny - Louise Penny's seventh and best mystery set in Three Pines.
- February 14 - The Wolf of Sarajevo - Autobiography - A riveting novel of international suspense from acclaimed author and veteran diplomat Matthew Palmer.
- March 14 - The Ghost by Robert Harris - The Ghost is a contemporary political thriller
- April 11 - When Breath becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi -This inspiring, exquisitely observed memoir finds hope and beauty in the face of insurmountable odds as an idealistic young neurosurgeon attempts to answer the question "What makes a life worth living?"
- May 9 - Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout -13 short narratives bound by one character
- June 13 - The Remains of the Day by Kasuo Ishiguru - A nod to the recent Nobel literature award winner
- July 11 - His Whole Life by Elizabeth Hay - A moving reflection on an unbreakable mother-son bond
On the possible list:
- Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow
- The World at Night by Alan Furst
- When Breath becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi (new)
- The Colour of Water by James McBride
- Let the Great World Spin by Colum McCann
- Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel
- The Damage Done by Hilary Davidson
- A Train in Winter by Carolyne Moorehead
- The Virgin Queen's Daughter by Ella March Chase
- The Inconvenient Indian by Thomas King
- Ghost by Robert Harris
- A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny
- Entry Island by Peter May
- two series by Ann Perry – the Monk series and the Pitt Series