About Us :: Club Rules :: Beaver Valley Probus Club By-Laws
Beaver Valley Probus Club By-Laws
BY-LAWS OF BEAVER VALLEY PROBUS CLUB
(hereinafter referred to as the “Club”)
By-law No. 1 - Territory
- Membership in the Club shall primarily, but not necessarily, be from the area of the Georgian Triangle.
By-law No. 2 - Membership
- The Management Committee shall determine, from time to time, the number of members of the Club and the amount of the initiation and annual fees to be paid by members, other than Honorary members and Life members.
- The Management Committee shall approve the Club’s Form of Application for Membership and may, from time to time, make changes to such form.
- A prospective member of the Club shall complete and submit a form of Application for Membership, such form to be signed by a sponsor who shall be a member of the Club in good standing.
- If a waiting list for membership exists, the name of an applicant for membership will be placed on such list and when there is an opening in the membership, the prospective member will be asked to make payment of the initiation and membership fees then in effect. Otherwise, each application for membership shall be accompanied by payment of an initiation fee and an annual membership fee, each such fee to be at the rate currently established by the Management Committee. If a new member is accepted during the course of a membership year, the membership fee may be prorated at 1/12th for each remaining month in the Club’s year.
- A copy of the Club’s Constitution and By-laws shall be provided to any member who requests the same.
- Annual membership fees are payable on a date set by the Management Committee. The Management Committee may terminate the membership of any member whose annual membership fee remains unpaid 30 days following the payable date.
- Honorary membership may be conferred on a person by a majority of members voting at a duly constituted General meeting. An Honorary member shall not be required to pay the annual membership fee, and shall enjoy all privileges of membership except voting and election to office. No more than 2% of the membership shall be Honorary members at any given time.
- Life membership may be conferred, by a majority of members voting at a duly constituted General meeting, upon a member who has rendered outstanding service to the Club. A Life member shall not be required to pay the annual membership fee, and shall enjoy all privileges of membership. No more than 2% of the membership may be Life members at any given time.
By-law No. 3 - Management
- The President shall, when present, preside at all meetings of the Management Committee and the Club. In the absence of the President, the Vice-President or another member of the Management Committee shall preside in his or her stead.
- The Secretary or Co-Secretaries shall be responsible for all minutes of the Management Committee and the Club and for arranging for maintaining the Club’s archival material.
- The Treasurer shall keep records of all financial transactions of the Club.
- The Membership Chairperson(s) shall be responsible for the maintenance of the membership list which shall include members’ names, postal and e-mail addresses, telephone and fax numbers, and such other information as the Management Committee may determine. The membership list shall be distributed to the members at least annually, and shall include a statement that it is confidential and is for use only in connection with the activities of the Club and is not to be disclosed to any other person or organization or used for any commercial or other purpose.
By-law No. 4 - Election of Officers
- A Nominating Committee consisting of three persons being the President-Elect and two Past Presidents (if available, otherwise one or two, as the case may be, Club members in good standing to be appointed by the Management Committee), shall present to the Annual General Meeting a slate of candidates for election as officers of the Club.
- Any member in good standing may nominate another Member in good standing to stand for election as President, Vice-President, Secretary or Treasurer. Any such nomination must be made in writing, accompanied by the written consent of the nominee. The date by which any such nomination must be received is to be determined each year by the Management Committee.
- It is contemplated by this By-law that a nominee for the position of Vice-President of the Club for the forthcoming year will be a member who is willing to stand for election as President the following year.
By-law No. 5 - General Meetings
- Unless otherwise determined by the Management Committee, the Annual General Meeting shall be held on the Club’s regular meeting day in February of each year. At this meeting, officers shall be elected, and an auditor shall be appointed.
- Unless otherwise determined by the Management Committee, General meetings of the Club shall be held, on the fourth Tuesday of each month at 1:00 p.m. at the Beaver Valley Community Centre, Alfred Street West and Victoria Street, Thornbury.
- The quorum at all General meetings shall be 25% of the membership.
- Notice of any motion to be considered at a General meeting shall be submitted in writing to the Secretary and read to the General meeting held in the month prior to the meeting at which it is to be considered.
By-law No. 6 - Financial
- The Treasurer shall deposit all funds of the Club in a financial institution approved by the Management Committee.
By-law No. 7 - Signing Officers
- Any two of the President, the Vice-President, the Secretary or Co-Secretaries, and the Treasurer, signing, together, shall be authorized (i) to sign cheques and other instruments required in connection with the operation of the Club’s bank account; and (ii) to sign contracts, documents and other instruments generally required in connection with the operation of the Club. All such cheques, contracts, documents and other instruments, when so signed, shall be binding upon the Club. The Management Committee may, from time to time, delegate to any one member of the Management Committee or to any Activity Group Co-ordinator the authority to sign contracts, documents and other instruments on behalf of the Club provided that the signing of any such contract, document or instrument shall not create a liability on the part of the Club in excess of $2,500. The Management Committee may also, from time to time, delegate to a member of the Management Committee or to any Activity Group Co-ordinator authority to sign a specific contract, document or instrument where a liability which exceeds $2,500 would be created on the part of the Club.
By-law No. 8 - By-law Amendments
- Any by-law may be amended by a two-third’s majority of the members present and voting at a General meeting, provided (i) that notice of motion has been given as required by By-law No. 5, paragraph 4; and (ii) any such amendment must be consistent with the Probus Standard Constitution.
ENACTED on the 25th day of February, 2003.